In The News
Upshur County, WV is such a great place to visit and live. Through our heritage, memorable fairs & festivals, beautiful attractions and unique culture, we receive a lot of recognition. See some of our most notable stories & reviews through the articles and links, below!
A Great Place to Live & Shop!
- Whimsical Treasures is a specialty shop located on Main Street & supports local artists!
- Local Artist, Christine Keller was recently profiled by the Arts Business Institute!
- A Florida residents writes about her first visit to West Virginia! Click HERE for her detailed experience!
- Upshur County recently won a Photo Contest hosted by Senator Jay Rockefeller - See the photo and Senator Rockefeller's remarks at this link: http://www.rockefeller.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=90d9d0ad-fe81-4ee1-bf34-500b041d0add
- 'Bear's Bowls' are quickly becoming well known... Click HERE for to learn how he turns logs into works of art!
- Looking for a true 'specialty' shop in Buckhannon? The Hometown Market is the place to see...Click HERE for a recent article!
- Buckhannon was just named as one of the best cities in West Virginia to raise a family! Read the article by clicking HERE!
View native wildlife at the WV Wildlife Center - WV's Zoo
- The WV Wildlife Center has been named in the top '51 Great Places to See Wildlife by the USA Today! http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/story/2011/07/51-great-places-to-see-wildlife/49702682/1
- Get a glimpse into the WV Wildlife Center during the Winter season: http://wvgazette.com/News/201201050170
- Watch this video to see some of the animals at the Wildlife Center! http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/wvwildlife/2012/ww120523.shtml
Travel Channel: Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern
- Upshur County locals Glen, JoAnne and Dale Hawkins share their West Virginia heritage, culture and cooking with Andrew Zimmern. Click the link for a slideshow! http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/bizarre-foods/photos/bizarre-foods-america-west-virginia-pictures
Food in Upshur County, WV is unique, fresh and a true experience!
- Chef Dale Hawkins has inspired many to seek out fresh, local produce. http://wvgazette.com/Life/FoodandDining/201204270179
- Even Hot Dogs in WV can be turn into a weekend trip! http://wvhotdogblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/buckhannon-hdj-review-dairy-queen.html
- Try New Appalachian Cuisine in West Virginia! http://www.oxfordamerican.org/articles/2012/nov/12/essay-new-appalachian-cuisine/
- The Donut Shop of Buckhannon is a MUST when visiting Upshur County! Be sure to try a fresh pepperoni roll, donut & cup of coffee. Click HERE for a great article about the Donut Shop!
Congrats to the Buckhannon Microtel for winning Trip Advisor's Travellers' Choice in the 'Budget Friendly' category!